Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Collision

I couldn't help but see him as much as possible. I'd go out of my way to take the street he was on to work or evening classes. I made sure to pass by on my way to and from the supermarket. Sometimes I even walked my dog down that way even though I'm completely aware that Buddy, my large and cowardly dalmatian, is prone to being skittish around the many ferocious cats that cover that part of town.
There's just something about him. His coat has a large hole at the elbow... maybe he'd let me patch that up for him, it's really the least I can do.
You know, I left him a pair of Kevin's old shoes once. Right in front of the trashcan that he likes to hang out at. I had really hoped that they fit him at least a little. The next day as I walked past, I noticed Kevin's shoes on his feet, the front of them split open to allow his toes to wiggle through. I made a mental note to get him some bigger ones.
Today I got to see him a little longer than usual. He had just pulled out his trumpet from the garbage bag he usually had slung over his shoulder and was getting ready to play. I stood around a little, in the corner, and just as I had heard many times before, in the darkest of nights, the world's most beautiful sounds clung to my senses and left me beautifully breathless.
His tune was mournful today, a slow jazz piece enough to make me search for the respite of my eyelids. My body began to sway back and forth at first lightly and then with more abandon. His tune grew heavier, faster, louder and my spinning body ousted me from my hiding place.
It went on however, without a skipped beat. He played stronger, faster, louder still and I was in front of him flying left and right. My chest felt like it was about to burst open and catch fire. My legs couldn't stop and my arms embraced my body because if I let myself go, I was positive the wind would blow me over the rooftops.
Suddenly he stopped. I stopped. The world ceased to rotate.

"Thank you," he said. "Thank you for the shoes."




The prompt I found for this one was: "Write about a beggar who loves to hear himself sing"
but well, it just didn't seem to turn out that way did it?

1 comment:

  1. the bit about the wind blowing the speaker over the rooftops reminds me of this:
    http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16944

    ^^one of my favorite poems of all time ever :) i think you'll really like it.

    ReplyDelete