Sunday, June 5, 2011

Favorite Words

I took this idea from Kerry Cullen (http://keroscenery.blogspot.com/) a very good friend and writer.

Exercise: Make a list of twenty-five of the most beautiful/sensual/or poetic words you can think of. (For example, some of my favorite words are: obsidian, wisp, hollow, trickle, iridescent, and flicker.) If you can’t think of any off the top of your head, flip through the dictionary.
Once you have your list of words, pick one to try to build a poem around. The word can be the title of your poem, part of an image, central to a narrative, or just a word in a line.

My word list: Zephyr, supple, sorrow, arid, aching, wave, thirst, touched, whisper, pounding, trickle, dripping, burden, flowing, bite, chrysalis, yearn, tipped, strings, concerto, human, thirsty, slowing, whisked, mysterious

BITE

me. Because I stopped believing you a long time ago.
me. Because all you ever do is come back.
me. Because your words feel heavy on my soul.
me. Because my tongue can't taste what you do.
me. Because my lips refuse to buckle under you.
me. Because apples aren't good enough anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment