Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mardi Gras 2011

It never fails to astound me how Mardi Gras can really bring people out of their comfort zones. From first time Mardi Gras-er to the most seasoned bead snatcher, there is always something new and unexpected. Whether a friend's first time getting tipsy, to the first time catching a coconut, to the first time seeing crossdressers.

It wasn't quite as overwhelming this year. The crowds of people armed with deadly cigarettes and cups of spilling booze wasn't too much for me to handle as I stepped back and observed from behind the ladders full of face-painted, screaming children. My family had a blast pushing foward to get the most prized beads, gawking at the ridiculous outfits some people wore and meeting the incredible friends I have made at Loyola.

It's a pity most of my friends were drunk. BUT IT'S MARDI GRAS!

More and more I noticed the people, how some of them watched their children having a blast, hanging out in the back, smiling widely everytime their child showed them a new set of plastic beads. How an old lady pushed her way through the crowd to give her husband a kiss as he marched along in the parade.
How I could have a BLAST with my close friends without drinking a drop of alcohol.
How I could also enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with my girlfriends as we settled down for a quiet afternoon after morning parades.

How different it all is from last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment