Sunday, February 27, 2011

As you get older

This is for Camila, my beautiful 14 year old cousin. I wrote it as a confirmation letter but never got around to sending it.

Dear Camila,

As we, the members of an incredibly beautiful human race, grow a little older, we learn a few things from the experience that is life and the wonder that is God.
Let me tell you what I've learned.

I've learned that I'm never right but that I need to be willing to try and I need to be willing to learn.
I've learned that life throws a few curve balls and that we're gonna be hit hard by each one. So arm yourself with a catcher's mitt and a face mask and be willing to throw a few curve balls back.
I've learned that there is nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful New Orleans day with a glass of iced tea and watching the world go by.
I've learned that heading over to the park with a good friend and spending hours talking about life, experiences and boys is better than going clubbing.
I've learned that stepping on leaves to find out which one makes the crunchiest sound is a little pleasure that makes me smile from ear to ear.
I've learned that family is there for you no matter what and that they'll love you no matter what you do.

I've learned that God loves you more than that and that I'm one of his favorites.

I've learned that talking to someone relieves the soul.
I've learned that you will make a handful of good friends in life and you have to do your best to keep them.
I've learned that driving with the windows down belting out the words to awkward songs is the only way to drive.
I've learned that I can be loved unconditionally.

I love you.

Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment