Thursday, February 17, 2011

Noise Pollution

It's awkward that a musician would pine so much for silence.

But even silence has it's enticing rhythm, it's soft melody. No matter how much I try to lead Music into the forest, she always comes back to me following a trail of perfectly laid out bread crumbs.

I find it pretty humorous that I reach the library, grab a pair of headphones and proceed to listen to nothing, trying to black out as much noise as physically possible. Oh but she prevails! She hums the tune of pages turning, of cars honking. Her chorus, the breath of the Mississippi wind, follows me everywhere.

There is too much noise too much Music too much too much too much to handle. My ears are tired, my soul needs silence, the shackles of black notes around my wrists need to loosen up.

Oh and I've tried. Time and time again I leave the flute, I leave my Music, I leave my life in search of something else and then I reach that question... Is there something else? What is there that Music can not explain? What else is there when all I can see is God in Music?


Instead of feeling enslaved by Music, Music should be my partner, my comrade, through sickness and in health, needing me and taking care of me.

It's time I fell in love again.

2 comments:

  1. Mar,

    Beautiful post. It made me think of multiple scenes from the film "August Rush". I encourage you to see it if you haven't. Have a lovely day, and I hope we talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, as Caleb said. I agree with you in that Music is one of the greatest gifts from God and one of those marvelous gifts that most people can enjoy regardless of their $$$ status. Thank you for the Music you make.

    ReplyDelete